Notary Public Services – Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage

Getting married overseas

If you are intending to marry overseas (ie, outside of Australia) the officials in that country may ask you for a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage. But what is it?

AustraliaA Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage is a document issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to Australian citizens who want marry overseas indicating that there are no legal limitation on them marrying (ie, they are not already married etc). You do not need a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage to marry in Australia. The application forms are available from DFAT.

So why would you need a notary public to get married overseas?

Some overseas marriage officials will only accept Certificates of No Impediment issued by the local Australian Embassy or Consulate in their own country (being the country in which the marriage is to take place). If you live in Australia, this means you may need to have your application form notarised by a notary public in Australia before sending the application form to the local Australian Embassy or Consulate in that country.

You may also need a notary public to assist you in preparing some of the other required documents. In addition to a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage, overseas marriage officials may also require other documents such as:

  • Proof of your identity. For example, you may need to provide a copy of your birth certificate, passport or other personal identification.
  • Proof of your address. For example, you may need to provide a copy of your rates or utilities notices.
  • Statutory declaration, affidavit or some sworn statement. For example, you may need to swear that you are single and free to marry, and that you choose to marry voluntarily.
  • If relevant, evidence that you are ‘free to marry’. If you are living in Sydney, then you can obtain a certificate of that nature from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (in Sydney or Parramatta). This certificate will state that there is no record of you having been married in New South Wales.
  • If relevant, evidence that you have been divorce, or that your previous spouse has passed away. For example, you may need to provide a copy of your divorce order or death certificates.

If your intended spouse is also an Australian citizen, they may also have to provide the same kind of documentation.

If you are sending copies (and sometimes if you are sending originals) you should also check with the overseas marriage officials whether those documents need to be notarised by a notary public, and whether those documents then need to be stamped with an authentication or an apostille by DFAT.


This article is only an overview of the issues faced by Australian citizens when they wish to marry overseas. The requirements vary between different countries and you need to check the specific requirements of the country in which you intend to marry. As a notary public, we assist many clients by witnessing statements and notarising documents required to satisfy overseas marriage officials.

Phang Legal - 15 years serving the community

Do you have any questions regarding this article?

If you have never had to have a document notarised before, you may find our role as a notary public, the notary public services that we provide, and this whole process (especially authentication, legalisation and apostille) to be confusing and daunting. Do not worry! We are here to try to simplify it, make it easy for you to understand, and to guide you or assist you with achieving your desired goal.

Please contact us or visit our Frequently Asked Questions for more information regarding this article or our notary public services.

Click here to see the flowchart that we created to help you understand the process regarding notarisation, apostille, authentication and legalisation.

So, what next?

If you are now ready to proceed with having your document notarised, please visit our Notary Fees page for a FREE quote on our notary public services or just call us on 02 9687 8885 and speak to our friendly staff about your requirements.

Why choose Phang Legal for your notary public services?

We are a leading provider of notary public services in Sydney known for our low-cost fixed fee notary services, our availability to provide notary public services on short notice, and our focus on personal and timely notary public services. With our offices conveniently located in Parramatta, the geographic centre of the Sydney metropolitan area, our notary public assists clients from across all suburbs of Sydney and beyond.

Ern Phang, Notary Public

Notary Public

This website is maintained by Phang Legal, an incorporated legal practice in Parramatta and a leading provider of notary public services to clients across Sydney. Extensive experience and low-cost fixed prices ensures quality services and satisfied clients.

Ern Phang is the solicitor director of Phang Legal and a notary public. Ern regularly writes about his experiences as a notary public and the kinds of issues faced by his clients in sending documents overseas.

All information contained in this article is for general purposes only and correct as at the time of publication. You should only rely on information and advice that is specific to your situation and current at the time you wish to rely on it.