USA – Consent to issue a passport to a minor (under 16 years)

Getting a US passport for your children

Children under 16 years who are entitled to carry a US passport still require consent from both parents before they will be grated a US passport.

The US Department of State requires parents of the intended passport holder to complete and sign the form known as “Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor under age 16”. The relevant form can be downloaded the Department of State’s website or from here (last updated February 2014).

Like many other documents used in the US, this form also needs to be notarised by a notary public.

In the US, the role of a notary public is very similar to the role of a justice of the peace in Australia – even though in Australia, the office of a notary public is very different to the office of a justice of the peace. For documents signed in Australia but used in the US the general requirement is for your signature to be witnessed by a notary public (ie, you must sign in front of the notary public) and for the document to be notarised (ie, signed and sealed by the notary public).

Fortunately, if you have any questions regarding our notary public services for this document or any other documents used in the US, you can take comfort in the fact that you will find the details of our notary public listed with the US Consular Services, Sydney. We have been recognised as a notary public for documents used in the US and regularly notarise this form and other US documents without issue or problem.

Providing a consent to travel when your children travel overseas without you

If you have been asked to complete this form, perhaps by your child’s other parent or legal guardian, then it suggests that your child may be travelling overseas – which raises other issues.

If your child is also travelling without you, may also need to consider providing some sort of letter of consent to whoever your child is travelling with to ensure that they do not have any issues while passing through immigration. There are many countries around the world that require this form of authority or consent to prevent trafficking or child abduction, and while it may not be necessary in the countries that you are travelling to or through, it is good to have that peace of mind to avoid any hassles at the borders. Unfortunately, the nature of any problems arising from crossing borders means that we can help you now but we cannot help you later on. If you have problems at immigration checkpoints in other countries, you will need to rely on consular services from your home country.

For more information about consenting to your child being issued with a US passport, or any other issues that your child may experience while travelling internationally without you, please consult your nearest office of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, or the foreign office of any of the intended destination countries.

Phang Legal - 15 years serving the community

Do you have any questions regarding this article?

If you have never had to have a document notarised before, you may find our role as a notary public, the notary public services that we provide, and this whole process (especially authentication, legalisation and apostille) to be confusing and daunting. Do not worry! We are here to try to simplify it, make it easy for you to understand, and to guide you or assist you with achieving your desired goal.

Please contact us or visit our Frequently Asked Questions for more information regarding this article or our notary public services.

Click here to see the flowchart that we created to help you understand the process regarding notarisation, apostille, authentication and legalisation.

So, what next?

If you are now ready to proceed with having your document notarised, please visit our Notary Fees page for a FREE quote on our notary public services or just call us on 02 9687 8885 and speak to our friendly staff about your requirements.

Why choose Phang Legal for your notary public services?

We are a leading provider of notary public services in Sydney known for our low-cost fixed fee notary services, our availability to provide notary public services on short notice, and our focus on personal and timely notary public services. With our offices conveniently located in Parramatta, the geographic centre of the Sydney metropolitan area, our notary public assists clients from across all suburbs of Sydney and beyond.

Ern Phang, Notary Public

Notary Public

This website is maintained by Phang Legal, an incorporated legal practice in Parramatta and a leading provider of notary public services to clients across Sydney. Extensive experience and low-cost fixed prices ensures quality services and satisfied clients.

Ern Phang is the solicitor director of Phang Legal and a notary public. Ern regularly writes about his experiences as a notary public and the kinds of issues faced by his clients in sending documents overseas.

All information contained in this article is for general purposes only and correct as at the time of publication. You should only rely on information and advice that is specific to your situation and current at the time you wish to rely on it.