USA – DS-3053 Consent to issue a passport to a minor (under 16 years)

Getting a US passport for your children

Children under 16 years who are entitled to carry a US passport still require consent from both parents before they will be granted a US passport.

The US Department of State requires parents of the intended passport holder to complete and sign the form known as “Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor under age 16”. The relevant DS-3053 form can be downloaded from the Department of State’s website.

Like many other documents used in the US, this form also needs to be notarised by a notary public.

In the US, the role of a notary public is very similar to the role of a justice of the peace in Australia – even though in Australia, the office of a notary public is very different to the office of a justice of the peace. For documents signed in Australia but used in the US the general requirement is for your signature to be witnessed by a notary public (ie, you must sign in front of the notary public) and for the document to be notarised (ie, signed and sealed by the notary public).

Fortunately, if you have any questions regarding our notary public services for this document or any other documents used in the US, you can take comfort in the fact that you will find the details of our notary public listed with the US Consular Services, Sydney. We have been recognised as a notary public for documents used in the US and regularly notarise this form and other US documents without issue or problem.

Providing a consent to travel when your children travel overseas without you

If you have been asked to complete this form, perhaps by your child’s other parent or legal guardian, then it suggests that your child may be travelling overseas – which raises other issues.

If your child is also travelling without you, may also need to consider providing some sort of letter of consent to whoever your child is travelling with to ensure that they do not have any issues while passing through immigration. There are many countries around the world that require this form of authority or consent to prevent trafficking or child abduction, and while it may not be necessary for the countries that you are travelling to or through, it is good to have that peace of mind to avoid any hassles at the borders. Unfortunately, the nature of any problems arising from crossing borders means that we can help you now but we cannot help you later on. If you have problems at immigration checkpoints in other countries, you will need to rely on consular services from your home country.

For more information about consenting to your child being issued with a US passport, or any other issues that your child may experience while travelling internationally without you, please consult your nearest office of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, or the foreign office of any of the intended destination countries.

Phang Legal - Celebrating 20 Years of Service

Do you have any questions?

Sending documents from Australia to other countries can be complicated. We make it simple.

If your documents must be stamped with an apostille or authenticated and then legalised, we can help with that too. We've also created a flowchart to explain the process.

Not sure what you need? Contact us or visit our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

So, what's next?

Visit our Notary Fees page for a free quote for our notary public services. Otherwise, call us on +61 2 9687 8885 to speak with our friendly team about your requirements.

Why choose Phang Legal for your notary public services?

We're a leading provider of notary public services in Sydney. We're known for our experience and expertise in notarising documents for other countries, our low-cost fixed fees and service offering, and our availability to help on short notice.

Our office is conveniently located in Parramatta, the geographic centre of the Sydney metropolitan area. We help clients from across Sydney and beyond with personal, professional and timely notary public services.

Ern Phang, Notary Public
Ern Phang
Notary Public

This website is maintained by Phang Legal, a boutique law firm in Parramatta and a leading provider of quality notary public services to satisfied clients across Sydney.

Ern Phang is a director of Phang Legal and a notary public (since 2005). Ern regularly writes about his experiences as a notary public and the issues faced by his clients in sending documents to other countries.

All information on this website is for general purposes only and correct at the time of publication. Only rely on information and advice that is specific to your situation and current at the time you wish to rely on it.