Singapore – Withdrawing your CPF

EDIT: From 1 April 2017, the CPF Board has stopped accepting certifications of non-original documents by overseas Notaries Public for the withdrawals of CPF monies. All certifications of non-original documents must be witnessed and/or certified by officials from Singapore Missions.

After you have renounced your Singaporean citizenship or residency

As a leading provider of notary public services across Sydney (and with community connections with Singapore), we regularly receive requests to assist clients with withdrawing their CPF from Singapore.

Many are ex-Singaporeans who have migrated to Australia and renounced their citizenship, while others have worked in Singapore but have since permanently relocated and now call Australia ‘home’.

Whatever the reason, if you have worked in Singapore for any length of time, you would have accumulated savings in the Central Provident Fund (or CPF) – the equivalent to compulsory superannuation in Australia – and some of those savings may have even been invested in Housing and Development Board accommodation (or HDB).

If you have migrated or permanently relocated, you may be entitled to withdraw your CPF and part of the process requires you to have your application form and supporting documents notarised by a notary public – and that is what we do.

If you are now residing in Australia, then you need to complete the following steps (as obtained from the CPF website):

  1. Download and complete the Application Form to Withdraw CPF on Ground of Leaving Singapore and West Malaysia Permanently and sign it in our presence. We will witness and notarise your application form.
  2. Attach the supporting documents required according to your citizenship status. If you provide the original documents, we will certify and notarise the documents for you.
Citizenship Status of MemberDocuments Required
You have renounced your Singapore citizenship to migrate to another country (other than West Malaysia)
  1. Foreign passport or foreign citizenship certificate (if there is no foreign passport)
  2. A letter from the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) confirming the renunciation of your Singapore citizenship.
You are a Malaysian
  1. Malaysian identity card
  2. International passport showing the passport number, full personal particulars, signature, and date of expiry of the passport
  3. Evidence of foreign permanent residency or citizenship
  4. A letter from ICA, confirming the cancellation of your Singapore Permanent Residency (if you were a Permanent Resident of Singapore).
You are not a citizen of Singapore and Malaysia
  1. Foreign passport used during your employment / residence in Singapore
  2. Current foreign passport
  3. A letter from ICA, confirming the cancellation of your Singapore Permanent Residency (if you were a Permanent Resident of Singapore).

For verification purposes, you must also submit the following information and supporting documents to CPF:

  • ​The names of all the companies in Singapore whom you had worked for and the years in which you had started and stopped working for each company.
  • The name(s) of your nominee(s) and your relationships with them if you had made a CPF nomination or indicate no CPF nomination made if you had not made a CPF nomination.
  • Deed poll / change of name certificate / marriage certificate if the name in your passport / citizenship certificate / bank account differs from that in your records. The document must show clearly your original / maiden name and your new / married name.

You may be required to visit the CPF Service Centre personally if you are unable to provide the requested information for verification.

  • Mail your application to:
    CPF Board
    Withdrawal Schemes Department (WSD)
    79 Robinson Road
    Singapore 068897
Phang Legal - Celebrating 20 Years of Service

Do you have any questions regarding this article?

Whether you're notarising a document for the first time or the hundreth time, the requirements, processes, and terms can be confusing and daunting - or just a pain and a hassle (especially if you need an apostille, or to authenticate or legalise as well). Don't worry! We're here to simplify it, explain it, and help you with what you need to achieve it.

Contact us or visit our Frequently Asked Questions for more information about our notary public services. We've also created a flowchart to help explain notarisation, apostille, authentication and legalisation.

So, what's next?

Visit our Notary Fees page for a free quote for our notary public services or just call us on +61 2 9687 8885 to speak with our friendly team about your requirements.

Why choose Phang Legal for your notary public services?

We're a leading provider of notary public services in Sydney known for our experience and expertise in notarising documents for other countries, our low-cost fixed fees and service offering, and our availability to help on short notice. With our offices conveniently located in Parramatta, the geographic centre of the Sydney metropolitan area, we help clients from across Sydney and beyond with personal, professional and timely notary public services.

Ern Phang, Notary Public
Ern Phang
Notary Public

This website is maintained by Phang Legal, a boutique law firm in Parramatta and a leading provider of quality notary public services to satisfied clients across Sydney.

Ern Phang is a director of Phang Legal and a notary public (since 2005). Ern regularly writes about his experiences as a notary public and the issues faced by his clients in sending documents to other countries.

All information contained in this article is for general purposes only and correct at the time of publication. Only rely on information and advice specific to your situation and current at the time you wish to rely on it.