Canada – Notarising documents for migration to Canada

Do we assist clients with notarising their documents to support their application to migrate to Canada? Yes, we do.

Do we notarise documents that were not issued in Australia so that they can be used in Canada? No, we do not.

CanadaAs a leading provider of notary public services in Sydney, we are frequently asked to notarise supporting documents for Canadian migration (even before the US 2016 election). Often those supporting documents are documents originating from Australia and sometimes they are documents originating from other countries. As much as we wish to assist our clients with notarising their documents, we are not able to notarise most foreign documents.

For example, in support of their application to migrate to Canada or obtain a Canadian visa, some people may ask us to notarise birth certificates, marriage certificates or education and qualifications issued from other countries other than Australia. We are not able to notarise those documents because they were not issued from Australia. If those documents were Australian birth certificates, Australian marriage certificates, or education and qualifications from an Australian educational institution – then yes, we can notarise those documents.

Any other foreign document should be notarised by a notary public in the country where those documents originated. A notary public should not really be notarising a document issued from a foreign country, and if they did there is a possibility that the notarisation would not be accepted or the document would be rejected because there would be no basis on which the notary public would, could or should verify a document from another country. Generally, the only foreign document that we will notarise is the passport. The passport is an internationally accepted document and in Australia serves as some people’s primary form of identification or even only form of identification.

Accordingly, if you are compiling supporting documents for an application to migrate to Canada, or you are applying for a visa to live or work in Canada, then make note of where your supporting documents originated so that you can then ensure that they are notarised properly in order to satisfy the Canadian requirements. If your documents originate from more than one country, then the chances are that you will need to consult more than one notary public – each from each country. If your documents originate from Australia, then we can help you with notarising those documents in Australia.

Phang Legal - 15 years serving the community

Do you have any questions regarding this article?

If you have never had to have a document notarised before, you may find our role as a notary public, the notary public services that we provide, and this whole process (especially authentication, legalisation and apostille) to be confusing and daunting. Do not worry! We are here to try to simplify it, make it easy for you to understand, and to guide you or assist you with achieving your desired goal.

Please contact us or visit our Frequently Asked Questions for more information regarding this article or our notary public services.

Click here to see the flowchart that we created to help you understand the process regarding notarisation, apostille, authentication and legalisation.

So, what next?

If you are now ready to proceed with having your document notarised, please visit our Notary Fees page for a FREE quote on our notary public services or just call us on 02 9687 8885 and speak to our friendly staff about your requirements.

Why choose Phang Legal for your notary public services?

We are a leading provider of notary public services in Sydney known for our low-cost fixed fee notary services, our availability to provide notary public services on short notice, and our focus on personal and timely notary public services. With our offices conveniently located in Parramatta, the geographic centre of the Sydney metropolitan area, our notary public assists clients from across all suburbs of Sydney and beyond.

Ern Phang, Notary Public

Notary Public

This website is maintained by Phang Legal, an incorporated legal practice in Parramatta and a leading provider of notary public services to clients across Sydney. Extensive experience and low-cost fixed prices ensures quality services and satisfied clients.

Ern Phang is the solicitor director of Phang Legal and a notary public. Ern regularly writes about his experiences as a notary public and the kinds of issues faced by his clients in sending documents overseas.

All information contained in this article is for general purposes only and correct as at the time of publication. You should only rely on information and advice that is specific to your situation and current at the time you wish to rely on it.