Ukraine – Birth Certificates and Apostille

Registering the birth of your child in the Ukraine

UkraineIf you are originally from the Ukraine but you have had a child in Australia, you may want to register your child’s birth or otherwise inform the government in the Ukraine of their birth.

Normally, the primary evidence of someone’s birth (and related information such as parents names and place of birth) is their birth certificate. A birth certificate is normally issued by the regulatory authority of the place of birth. For example, people born in New South Wales should receive a birth certificate from the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.

If your child was born in Australia, but you want to prove or register their birth overseas, then depending on the other country you generally need to have the birth certificate stamped with an apostille by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) or authenticated by DFAT and then legalised by the consulate, embassy or foreign office of the other country.

Australian government documents (such as birth certificates, marriage certificates or death certificates) being sent to the Ukraine normally must be stamped with an apostille because both Australia and the Ukraine are signatories to the Apostille Convention. Accordingly, if you are sending your child’s birth certificate to the Ukraine for whatever reason (ie, registering their birth or applying for a passport), you can either:

  1. Ask DFAT to stamp the apostille on the original birth certificate; or
  2. If you want to keep the original birth certificate, then the copy of the birth certificate must be notarised before it can be stamped with an apostille.

As a leading provider of notary public services in Sydney, we often help clients who need to send their child’s birth certificates to the Ukraine. We can help you to either arrange for the apostille on the original of that birth certificate or on a notarised copy of that birth certificate.

This service is only available to Australian birth certificates. Birth certificates from other countries must be processed through those countries and cannot be stamped with an apostille or notarised in Australia.

Phang Legal - Celebrating 20 Years of Service

Do you have any questions?

Sending documents from Australia to other countries can be complicated. We make it simple.

If your documents must be stamped with an apostille or authenticated and then legalised, we can help with that too. We've also created a flowchart to explain the process.

Not sure what you need? Contact us or visit our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

So, what's next?

Visit our Notary Fees page for a free quote for our notary public services. Otherwise, call us on +61 2 9687 8885 to speak with our friendly team about your requirements.

Why choose Phang Legal for your notary public services?

We're a leading provider of notary public services in Sydney. We're known for our experience and expertise in notarising documents for other countries, our low-cost fixed fees and service offering, and our availability to help on short notice.

Our office is conveniently located in Parramatta, the geographic centre of the Sydney metropolitan area. We help clients from across Sydney and beyond with personal, professional and timely notary public services.

Ern Phang, Notary Public
Ern Phang
Notary Public

This website is maintained by Phang Legal, a boutique law firm in Parramatta and a leading provider of quality notary public services to satisfied clients across Sydney.

Ern Phang is a director of Phang Legal and a notary public (since 2005). Ern regularly writes about his experiences as a notary public and the issues faced by his clients in sending documents to other countries.

All information on this website is for general purposes only and correct at the time of publication. Only rely on information and advice that is specific to your situation and current at the time you wish to rely on it.