Nigeria – Affidavit for Lost Passport

What should you do if you lose your Nigeria passport?

As a Nigerian citizen in Australia, if you’ve lost your Nigeria passport you must apply to the Nigeria High Commission in Canberra for a replacement passport. The details of the application process are available on the High Commission’s website under their ‘passport‘ services.

In support of your application for a replacement passport, you must provide an affidavit.

Affidavit for lost Nigeria passport

Your affidavit must contain the following information/declarations:

  1. You must provide your full name and your residential address.
  2. You must declare that you’re a Nigerian citizen and provide your Nigeria passport number with the issue date.
  3. You must explain when and how you lost your passport.
  4. You must swear that your affidavit is true to the best knowledge and belief.

Finally, once you’ve completed all of the information in your affidavit, you must declare and sign it in front of a justice of the peace or a notary public.

Generally, if you must sign documents (like an affidavit) to be used in another country (like Nigeria), then those documents should be signed in front of a notary public. There are other authorised or prescribed witnesses, but you should check with the High Commission whether they’ll accept those other witnesses.

The main difference between a justice of the peace and a notary public is that documents signed by a justice of the peace are usually only valid for use within Australia.

Notary public services for lost Nigeria passport

As a leading provider of notary public services in Sydney, we can assist with preparing the affidavit as well as witnessing and notarising the affidavit. If you’ve lost your Nigeria passport and you’re applying for a replacement, then you might need our notary public services too.

For us to notarise your affidavit, you must be able to prove your identity. Usually, your passport would be your primary form of identification in Australia. But, if you’ve lost your passport, then you’ll need a substitute identity document like an Australian driver licence or photo ID card. If you’re unable to prove your identity, then we’re unable to witness you sign and we can’t notarise your affidavit.

Phang Legal - Celebrating 20 Years of Service

Do you have any questions?

Sending documents from Australia to other countries can be complicated. We make it simple.

If your documents must be stamped with an apostille or authenticated and then legalised, we can help with that too. We've also created a flowchart to explain the process.

Not sure what you need? Contact us or visit our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

So, what's next?

Visit our Notary Fees page for a free quote for our notary public services. Otherwise, call us on +61 2 9687 8885 to speak with our friendly team about your requirements.

Why choose Phang Legal for your notary public services?

We're a leading provider of notary public services in Sydney. We're known for our experience and expertise in notarising documents for other countries, our low-cost fixed fees and service offering, and our availability to help on short notice.

Our office is conveniently located in Parramatta, the geographic centre of the Sydney metropolitan area. We help clients from across Sydney and beyond with personal, professional and timely notary public services.

Ern Phang, Notary Public
Ern Phang
Notary Public

This website is maintained by Phang Legal, a boutique law firm in Parramatta and a leading provider of quality notary public services to satisfied clients across Sydney.

Ern Phang is a director of Phang Legal and a notary public (since 2005). Ern regularly writes about his experiences as a notary public and the issues faced by his clients in sending documents to other countries.

All information on this website is for general purposes only and correct at the time of publication. Only rely on information and advice that is specific to your situation and current at the time you wish to rely on it.