Finland – Australian Birth Certificate Apostille


If you’re a Finnish citizen and your child was born in Australia, you can register your child’s birth in Finland. This may entitle them to Finnish citizenship (or dual citizenship in Australia and Finland). The registration process requires proof of birth usually in the form of your child’s Australian birth certificate.

Both Australia and Finland are members of the Apostille Convention. This means Australian documents, such as birth certificates, used in Finland must be stamped with an apostille.

What’s an apostille?

An apostille is a stamp issued according to the Apostille Convention. It’s a simple form of legalisation between countries that are members of the Apostille Convention. An apostille issued by a member country will be recognised by other member countries.

In Australia, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is the issuing authority for the apostille. DFAT can issue an apostille on:

  • Australian public documents (ie, original Australian government documents) or
  • Documents notarised by an Australian notary public.

Sending an Australian birth certificate to Finland

In Australia, a birth certificate is proof of someone’s birth. It contains information such as:

  • name, sex, date and place of birth
  • information about the parents
  • information about any brothers or sisters and
  • date of registration and registration number.

Birth certificates for people born in New South Wales are available from the Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages. The Registry was formed in 1856 to register life events in New South Wales accurately and securely for all time, ensuring their integrity and confidentiality.

You can apply for a NSW birth certificate using the link below:

NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages

An original Australian birth certificate can be stamped with an apostille without notarisation. However, a certified copy of an Australian birth certificate must be notarised before it can be stamped with an apostille.

This means you must decide if you’re sending the original certificate or a certified copy to Finland. If you’re not sure whether the original or a copy is required, you should ask your lawyer in Finland or the relevant government office that you’re dealing with. Ultimately, it depends on why you’re sending the birth certificate to Finland and the specific requirements of that process.

What can we do for you?

As a leading provider of notary public services in Sydney, we have regular appointments with DFAT. We help clients to stamp their documents with an apostille for use in other countries around the world.

If you’re sending your child’s Australian birth certificate (or any other personal certificates) to Finland, we can help you. We’ll arrange for an apostille on the original certificate, or we’ll notarise a copy of the certificate and arrange for an apostille on the notarised copy.

Australian notary public services for public documents and private documents

If your documents are public documents (ie, original government documents such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates etc), then those documents can be stamped with an apostille or authenticated without notarisation. Otherwise, if you want to retain your original public document and you only want to send a certified copy to the intended destination country, then the certified copy of that public document must also be notarised by a notary public before it can be stamped with an apostille or authenticated for legalisation purposes.

If your documents are private documents (ie, non-government documents such as medical reports, education documents or qualifications, business or commercial documents etc), then those documents must be notarised by a notary public before they can be stamped with an apostille or authenticated. In some cases, we must also verify the authenticity of the document with whoever issued it before we can notarise that document. For example, education documents or qualifications must be verified with the relevant school, college or university before they can be notarised and before DFAT will accept them for the purpose of stamping them with an apostille or authenticated for legalisation purposes.

Phang Legal - Celebrating 20 Years of Service

Do you have any questions?

Sending documents from Australia to other countries can be complicated. We make it simple.

If your documents must be stamped with an apostille or authenticated and then legalised, we can help with that too. We've also created a flowchart to explain the process.

Not sure what you need? Contact us or visit our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

So, what's next?

Visit our Notary Fees page for a free quote for our notary public services. Otherwise, call us on +61 2 9687 8885 to speak with our friendly team about your requirements.

Why choose Phang Legal for your notary public services?

We're a leading provider of notary public services in Sydney. We're known for our experience and expertise in notarising documents for other countries, our low-cost fixed fees and service offering, and our availability to help on short notice.

Our office is conveniently located in Parramatta, the geographic centre of the Sydney metropolitan area. We help clients from across Sydney and beyond with personal, professional and timely notary public services.

Ern Phang, Notary Public
Ern Phang
Notary Public

This website is maintained by Phang Legal, a boutique law firm in Parramatta and a leading provider of quality notary public services to satisfied clients across Sydney.

Ern Phang is a director of Phang Legal and a notary public (since 2005). Ern regularly writes about his experiences as a notary public and the issues faced by his clients in sending documents to other countries.

All information on this website is for general purposes only and correct at the time of publication. Only rely on information and advice that is specific to your situation and current at the time you wish to rely on it.