Sydney Water – Claim your pension rebate (non-homeowner)

Sydney Water LogoSydney Water Pension Rebate Eligibility

Eligible pensioners in Sydney are entitled to receive a discount (a pension rebate) on their Sydney Water fixed service charges for their home.

If you don’t own your own home, you may still be entitled to the pension rebate if you’re the owner’s spouse, a life tenant or the beneficiary of a will, or your home is owned through a company trust or have a family arrangement with the homeowner.

What is a ‘family arrangement’?

A family arrangement is where the pensioner lives in a home owned by their brother, sister, mother, father, daughter or son.

If you don’t own your own home and want to claim the pension rebate on the basis that you have a family arrangement with the homeowner, you must provide a Deed of Agreement signed by a lawyer.

What is a Deed of Agreement?

The Deed of Agreement should outline the following information:

  1. Relationship of affected parties
  2. Statement of right to occupation of property
  3. Statement of ownership of property
  4. Statement of financial responsibility of property
  5. Dates the agreement is applicable for
  6. Signatures of impacted parties and lawyer

Importantly, the Deed of Agreement cannot be signed in front of a justice of the peace – it can only be signed in front of a lawyer.

You can download a template for the Deed of Agreement from the Sydney Water website.

Can a justice of the peace sign the Deed of Agreement?

If you’re using the Deed of Agreement as proof of a family arrangement to qualify for a pension rebate with Sydney Water, your Deed of Agreement must be signed in front of a lawyer. Sydney Water will not accept the Deed of Agreement signed in front of a justice of the peace.

Can a notary public sign the Deed of Agreement?

In Australia, all notaries are senior lawyers. Since Sydney Water requires the homeowner and the pensioner to sign the Deed of Agreement in front of a lawyer, it also means that the Deed of Agreement can be signed in front of a notary public.

Although a notary public’s primary role is to notarise documents from Australia to be used in other countries, a notary public can also witness a homeowner and a pensioner sign the Deed of Arrangement for Sydney Water.

Phang Legal - Celebrating 20 Years of Service

Do you have any questions?

Sending documents from Australia to other countries can be complicated. We make it simple.

If your documents must be stamped with an apostille or authenticated and then legalised, we can help with that too. We've also created a flowchart to explain the process.

Not sure what you need? Contact us or visit our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

So, what's next?

Visit our Notary Fees page for a free quote for our notary public services. Otherwise, call us on +61 2 9687 8885 to speak with our friendly team about your requirements.

Why choose Phang Legal for your notary public services?

We're a leading provider of notary public services in Sydney. We're known for our experience and expertise in notarising documents for other countries, our low-cost fixed fees and service offering, and our availability to help on short notice.

Our office is conveniently located in Parramatta, the geographic centre of the Sydney metropolitan area. We help clients from across Sydney and beyond with personal, professional and timely notary public services.

Ern Phang, Notary Public
Ern Phang
Notary Public

This website is maintained by Phang Legal, a boutique law firm in Parramatta and a leading provider of quality notary public services to satisfied clients across Sydney.

Ern Phang is a director of Phang Legal and a notary public (since 2005). Ern regularly writes about his experiences as a notary public and the issues faced by his clients in sending documents to other countries.

All information on this website is for general purposes only and correct at the time of publication. Only rely on information and advice that is specific to your situation and current at the time you wish to rely on it.