FAQs for our notary public services
As a leading provider of notary public services in the Sydney metropolitan and Parramatta surrounding suburbs, we deal with a high volume of requests for notary public services in relation to documents intended for countries all over the world. Our experience with providing notary public services and our familiarity with the formal and ‘informal’ processes of many countries means that “we’ve seen it all before”.
We are able to guide you through the steps that you may need to take to ensure that your documents are legally valid and acceptable in the intended destination country. This collection of Frequently Asked Questions, are just that – questions that our clients regularly ask us from time to time regarding our notary public services.
Frequently asked questions about general issues related to our legal practice and notary public services.
- What’s a ‘notary public’?
- What does a notary public do?
- What’s the difference between a notary public and a justice of peace?
- What makes you different from other notaries?
- What’s an ‘apostille’?
- What’s the Apostille Convention?
- I’ve been told I need an apostille. Where and how do I get it?
- What’s ‘authentication’?
- Are you recognised by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade?
- What’s your experience in providing notary public services?
- Do you provide any services other than notary services?
Frequently asked questions about our fees and charges and other issues related to costs arising from notary public services and other associated services.
- Is there a recommended notary fee?
- Are you the cheapest?
- Why do other notaries charge so much more?
- Do you charge an hourly rate or a fixed price for notary services?
- Do you offer any discounts?
- How do I get a quote for your notary services?
- How much does the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade charge?
- I want you to come to my office. Do you charge for travelling?
- What other fees may apply?
Frequently asked questions about documents that require notarisation.
- Do you prepare documents for overseas?
- Do you have stamp paper or bonded paper?
- Do you have any templates for what the document needs to look like or the wording?
- Do my documents need to be in English or in any other language?
- My documents are on email or in a USB stick, can I print them at your office?
- Will you notarise an electronic document?
- Will you bind my documents?
- If I need certified copies of original documents, do I need to bring my own copies?
- Do I need to bring the document myself or I can send someone else?
- My document needs to be witnessed but I have already signed it. Can it still be notarised?
Frequently asked questions regarding our translation services.
- What languages do you cover in relation to your translation services?
- Should I have my documents translated before or after you notarise my documents?
- Will my documents be translated by a NAATI accredited translator?
- How long does it take to translate my documents?
- Can I get my documents translated straight away?
- How much does it cost to translate my documents?
- Is it cheaper for me to arrange my own translation?
- Can I arrange my own translation?
- Do you provide an interpretation service?
- I am a NAATI accredited translator, do you have any job vacancies?
Frequently asked questions regarding our office and how we provide our notary public services.
- Where’s your office?
- How do I get to your office?
- Can I park in your office?
- Does your office have wheelchair access?
- Do I need to make an appointment?
- Are you open on the weekends?
- Can you notarise documents in my office?
- Do you need to see me in person?
- What sort of identification do I need to show?
- Why do you keep copies of my identification and notarised documents?
Frequently asked questions regarding payment terms and our accounts.
- What kinds of payments do you accept?
- Do you have credit terms?
- When will I receive your tax invoice or receipt?
- Can you email the tax invoice to me?
- Is your notary fee tax deductible?
Do you have any questions regarding this article?
If you have never had to have a document notarised before, you may find our role as a notary public, the notary public services that we provide, and this whole process (especially authentication, legalisation and apostille) to be confusing and daunting. Do not worry! We are here to try to simplify it, make it easy for you to understand, and to guide you or assist you with achieving your desired goal.
So, what next?
If you are now ready to proceed with having your document notarised, please visit our Notary Fees page for a FREE quote on our notary public services or just call us on 02 9687 8885 and speak to our friendly staff about your requirements.
Why choose Phang Legal for your notary public services?
We are a leading provider of notary public services in Sydney known for our low-cost fixed fee notary services, our availability to provide notary public services on short notice, and our focus on personal and timely notary public services. With our offices conveniently located in Parramatta, the geographic centre of the Sydney metropolitan area, our notary public assists clients from across all suburbs of Sydney and beyond.
This website is maintained by Phang Legal, an incorporated legal practice in Parramatta and a leading provider of notary public services to clients across Sydney. Extensive experience and low-cost fixed prices ensures quality services and satisfied clients.
Ern Phang is the solicitor director of Phang Legal and a notary public. Ern regularly writes about his experiences as a notary public and the kinds of issues faced by his clients in sending documents overseas.
All information contained in this article is for general purposes only and correct as at the time of publication. You should only rely on information and advice that is specific to your situation and current at the time you wish to rely on it.