Skip to content
Home > FAQs > FAQs – Documents > Can you witness and sign a NSW statutory declaration?

Can you witness and sign a NSW statutory declaration?

Yes. A notary public is a qualified witness who can sign a statutory declaration in New South Wales. However, if you are intending to use that statutory declaration in New South Wales then you can also sign it in front of a lawyer or a justice of the peace. Unlike a notary public or a lawyer, the services of a justice of the peace are free.

If you are signing a NSW statutory declaration, it is unnecessary to engage the services of a notary public or a lawyer unless you are unable to find a justice of the peace.

If you are signing a statutory declaration for another state or a different country (other than Australia) be aware that different states and countries may use different documents (and wordings), so you should check with your lawyer in the relevant state or country for their specific templates.

You may find that there are many forms of templates for different documents available on the internet, and even though many clients use these forms successfully, the internet can often be an unreliable source of information.

Where can I find templates for a statutory declaration?

If you are looking for the NSW statutory declaration template, you can find them at the following links.

If you are looking for templates for other states or countries, the standing advice is to have your documents prepared by your lawyer in the intended destination state or country. This will ensure that your statutory declaration will be legally valid and acceptable according to their laws to avoid any hassle, delay or additional unnecessary cost. Otherwise, you may be able to find templates from the relevant foreign office or government departments or failing all of that you may be able to find templates on the internet.

Who can witness my signature or certify my documents?

Phang Legal - Celebrating 20 Years of Service

Do you have any questions?

Sending documents from Australia to other countries can be complicated. We make it simple.

If your documents must be stamped with an apostille or authenticated and then legalised, we can help with that too. We’ve also created a flowchart to explain the process.

Not sure what you need? Contact us or visit our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

So, what’s next?

Visit our Notary Fees page for a free quote for our notary public services. Otherwise, call us on +61 2 9687 8885 to speak with our friendly team about your requirements.

Why choose Phang Legal for your notary public services?

We’re a leading provider of notary public services in Sydney. We’re known for:

  • Our experience and expertise in notarising documents for other countries;
  • Our low-cost fixed fees and service offerings; and
  • Our availability to help on short notice.

Our office is conveniently located in Parramatta, the geographic centre of the Sydney metropolitan area. We help clients from across Sydney and beyond with personal, professional and timely notary public services.

Ern Phang
Ern Phang
Notary Public

This website is maintained by Phang Legal, a boutique law firm in Parramatta and a leading provider of quality notary public services to satisfied clients across Sydney and beyond.

Ern Phang is a director of Phang Legal and a notary public (since 2005). Ern regularly writes about his experiences as a notary public and the issues faced by his clients in sending documents to countries all over the world.

All information on this website is for general purposes only and correct at the time of publication. Only rely on information and advice that is specific to your situation and current at the time you wish to rely on it.
Home > FAQs > FAQs – Documents > Can you witness and sign a NSW statutory declaration?