Skip to content

Do you have stamp paper or bonded paper?

No. We know that some countries (like India) sometimes print their legal documents on special paper, commonly known as stamp paper or bonded paper – which is a form of prepaid duty. Please be aware that this kind of paper is not available in Australia.

If your document must be prepared on this kind of paper, you need to arrange for your lawyer in that country to prepare it for you and send you the hard copy by mail.

Notarising your document without stamped paper

If your lawyer sends you the document in electronic form to be printed in Australia, you will probably only be able to print it on paper that is readily available in Australia – such as A4, although in our experience this has not been an issue as the document may need to be formally “stamped” or marked once it reaches the intended destination country and the relevant duty has been paid.

In the past, clients have purchased stamps from Australia Post and attached those stamps to their document! However, we suspect that this will not satisfy the requirements of any foreign country with respect to their local duty liability. We DO NOT recommend this course of action without proper and competent legal advice from a lawyer admitted in the intended destination country.

FAQs for documents requiring notary public services

If you have questions regarding documents for your intended destination country, please review the frequently asked questions here or call our office on 02 9687 8885 to speak to our notary public.