Skip to content

Notarise and Attest Australian Education Documents and Qualifications

Did you study in Australia or obtain your qualifications in Australia? Your Australian education documents or your Australian qualifications must be attested/verified, notarised (and potentially stamped with an apostille or authenticated and legalised) before you can use them in other countries.

Whether you’re applying for further studies or proving your qualifications to a prospective employer, being able to provide evidence of your education will be important for your future. If that means living, working or studying abroad and you must send your education documents or your qualifications overseas, you should check the specific what’s required by the intended destination country because each country has different requirements when it comes to recognising Australian education documents and qualifications.

Quote - Education Documents

Using your Australian education or qualifications overseas

As a leading provider of notary public services in Sydney, we attest and notarise a range of different documents issued in Australia for use overseas, including:

  • Education documents
  • Education records
  • Academic transcripts
  • Letters of enrolment
  • Letters of completion
  • Degrees and qualifications
  • Certificates and testamurs
  • Professional registrations

This notary public service only applies to documents issued from schools, colleges, universities, educational institutions, and professional bodies in Australia (not other countries). If your education documents or qualifications were issued from another country, you must seek assistance from within that country (not Australia).

Quote - Education Documents

What’s involved in attestation and notarisation?

We must verify documents (including letters, transcripts, certificates or testamurs) with the issuing school, college, university, educational institution or professional body before we can attest or notarise them. If they have an online service, such as an online register on their website or they’re using My eQuals, then we’ll verify the documents online. Otherwise, we’ll send them a copy of the documents that you provided to us and ask them to verify that they issued the documents and that the contents of the documents are true and correct.

Once we’ve verified the documents, we’re able to attest and notarise them by:

  • Certifying a copy of the documents stating that they’re a true and correct copy of the original documents; and
  • Confirming that we’ve also verified the information contained in the documents with the issuing school, college, university, educational institution or professional body.

We attach a notary certificate containing those statements to either the original or a certified copy of your documents (depending on your preference and the requirements of your intended destination country). Also, if required by your intended destination country, we can also arrange for your documents to be stamped with an apostille or be authenticated by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).

Quote - Education Documents

How long does it take?

The turnaround time to attest and notarise documents depends on how long it takes for the issuing school, college, university, educational institution or professional body to respond to our request for verification. If we can verify the information online, then we’re able to attest and notarise the documents on the same business days. Others may require up to a week or more to process the verification request. In many cases, we’ll also need you to provide us with written authority to verify the information with your school, college, university, educational institution or professional body or provide some authorisation for them to release the relevant information to us.

If you also need us to help you with the apostille or authentication from DFAT, you should allow for another 5-10 business days. We’ll be able to confirm the timeline and turnaround time once we’ve been able to verify your documents.

Why do I need an apostille or authentication from DFAT?

Different countries around the world have different requirements when it comes to notarised documents. Some countries may require notarised documents to be stamped with an apostille while others require notarised documents to be authenticated. This is part of a larger legal process called ‘legalisation’. You must check the specific requirements of the intended destination country as well as the intended recipient to avoid any unnecessary delay or costs incurred by following the wrong process or not following the right process.

You can make your own arrangements with DFAT to have your documents stamped with an apostille or authenticated after we’ve attested and notarised your documents. Alternatively, we can handle this part of the process on your behalf because we frequently help many clients with the same requirements.

Quote - Education Documents

Other country-specific processes

In addition to attestation, notarisation, apostille or authentication and legalisation, some countries (and recipients) have their own specific requirements. You should always check with the intended recipient country or your intended recipients so that you follow their specific requirements. We help clients send their documents all over the world and we can help you with country-specific requirements too.